The error code 1016 of Diablo III refers to generic disconnection errors. There can be various reasons behind a disconnection, such as:
Poor Internet Connection
This shouldn’t be much of a problem in this day and age. The obvious solution for this would be to change your service provider.
IP Address Problems
Its easy to identify this error as you shall be facing disconnection issues with most of your online games. The solution, open command prompt in admin mode and enter the following commands:
- ipconfig/flushdns (this shall clear up your DNS cache)
- ipconfig/release (releases current IP configuration)
- ipconfig/renew (new IP address is assigned for your Computer by DHCP server)
Do wait for a success message after executing each of the above commands.
Ipv6 Compatibility Problems
This is a Diablo III specific issue which has been a menace since the 2.6.1 patch. Since Diablo III isn’t compatible with IPv6 settings we can simply disable it to get rid of this problem. Steps for the disabling process:
- Type ‘ncpa.cpl’ in the “Run” window and press enter to open Network Connections window.
- Here, right click on the network you are connected to and click on ‘properties’. This will open a small window as shown below.
- Here uncheck the Ipv6 option as marked above and press ‘OK’.
Now run your game and git gud son!
OS and Game Compatibility Problems
The error code 1016 might also pop up if your operating system doesn’t allow your game to connect to server online. This can be solved by running the game as admin in compatibility mode. The steps to do so are:
- Right click on the game’s executable icon or its shortcut and go to properties.
- Navigate to ‘Compatibility’ tab once the properties window opens.
- Check the box beside ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for:’ and select “Windows 7” (recommended).
- Next, check the box beside ‘Run this program as an administrator’ and click on ‘OK’.
- You are good to go now!
Antivirus Blocking Game Executable
This issue arises when your antivirus software blocks your game executable from connecting to the internet properly. In some cases the antivirus might not let your game access certain files from your drive which might be needed to execute it.
The simple fix for this problem is to add your game to an exclusion/trusted list of the antivirus software. This procedure varies for all the different antivirus out there but mostly an option can be found on the home screen of the software.