It’s been almost an year since Apex Legends was launched. Developed by Respawn Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts, the game came out as a first-person free-to-play battle royale, much to everyone’s surprise as there was no prior announcement from the developer or the publisher. Unlike other popular battle royale games like PUBG or Fortnite, Apex Legends features “heroes”, which are more common with team based competitive shooters like Overwatch and Paladins. Each hero has unique abilities and skill sets which a team can use to their advantage, for offense as well as defense. The game’s free-to-play model attracted a major inflow of players on a global level which resulted in it reaching the 50 million players mark within the first month. But even through the popularity lies a small problem which is affecting players worldwide. A lot of Apex Legends players have reported a DirectX Error while trying to launch the game.
This error typically occurs to PC players when they try to launch Apex Legends. While trying to launch the game, they come across the following message – “Error: A redistributable package (DirectX) was not installed successfully. Setup cannot continue. (4294967287).” You can solve the issue if you follow the following steps accurately.
Update your graphics driver
Since this is a DirectX error, you might want to update your graphics drivers just to be sure it’s not affecting the launch of Apex Legends. It’s not very uncommon for games to display error messages when your graphics drivers are not up to date.
- Depending on whether you have an Nvidia or AMD graphics card, launch the respective graphics driver software. For Nvidia graphics cards, launch GeForce Experience. For AMD graphics cards, launch AMD Radeon Software.
- If your drivers are not up to date, you will find the Update feature prompting you to download the latest drivers. You can also manually search for updates. The exact location of the Update option depends on your software.
- Update your drivers and restart your PC.
Manually deleting DirectX files
You can try re-installing DirectX on your PC. However, since many users have reported that it didn’t work for them, you need to manually delete certain files from your Apex Legend’s DirectX folder in order to resolve the error.
- Go to C:Program Files (x86)Origin GamesApex__Installerdirectxredist.
- Delete all the files in the directory except the following three – DXSETUP.exe, DSETUP.dll, dsetup32.dll.
- Now, reinstall DirectX by running DXSETUP.exe. Run it as Administrator to avoid any possible problems that might occur later.
If none of the above solutions work for you, you should reinstall Origin launcher as a last resort.
- Click on the Start menu on your desktop.
- Click on the Setting icon.
- Select Apps.
- Find Origin from the list of installed applications and uninstall it.
- Download the Origin Launcher setup from the official website.
- Install Origin on your computer and run Apex Legends.
Apart from all of the above solutions, you should always make sure that you have the latest version of Apex Legends installed. Sometimes, not updating Apex Legends might also result in a DirectX error. Update the game whenever they are available. All of these solutions should be enough to let you play the game in peace. Happy Gaming!
Cover Image Credits: Origin