Error Code BEAVER shows up specifically when a console is unable to connect to another player’s console via the internet. Although there is a high probability that the error showed up due to poor connectivity between the 2 consoles but the most common reports point out faulty or incompatible router or network configurations.
Given below are a few reasons and solutions that might be helpful. Before proceeding forwards it would be advisable to switch to a wired network to eliminate the possibility of poor wireless connectivity.
Reason 1: Multiple Connections
If multiple consoles are connected to the same router then the users might disconnect with error code BEAVER popping up. This issue can be handled by enabling UPnP on the router.
*Please note: Don’t enable UPnP and Port Forwarding at the same time.
UPnp can be set up by following the steps given below:
- Open the router’s homepage by entering its IP address in the browser.
- Navigate to UPnP setting, usually found under ‘LAN’ or ‘Firewall’ tab.
- Enable this option and save all changes.
- Now restart the router to disconnect and reconnect all devices on the network for the new changes to take effect.
Reason 2: Strict NAT
NAT stands for Network Address Translation and it refers to the strictness with which a network blocks the connection between the console and the rest of the internet. This is also affected by port forwarding and UPnP configuration. This is a feature of the router and can be configured from its home page. Before configuring it’s important to know the different NAT types as defined by Sony and Microsoft for their consoles respectively.
For PlayStation 4:
- Type 1: Console has direct connection to the internet without a router or router modem combination. This allows all network connections between console and other players. Use this type to get rid of any beaver error.
- Type 2: Console is connected to a router which is configured such that it allows most games to run hassle free. In some cases players might have to configure UPnP and port forwarding if they can’t find other players online. This works for most games and hence no error should pop up if selected.
- Type 3: Console is connected to a router which is configured to block other players and services. In this case players must configure port forwarding or UPnP to play online..
For Xbox One:
- Open: Allows any kind of network connection between players and consoles, i.e, play, chat, etc.
- Moderate: Allows most of the basic network connections between console and players although few connections shall be put on restriction. Players can communicate with players using Open or moderate type NAT only.
- Strict: This type allows only the basic connections needed by players. These players can only play with others with an Open NAT type connection.
Featured Image Credits: Bungie